Plus: An easy Green Tea Blend. Perfect to soothe when you feel a cold coming on.
Growing up it was always hot tea, honey, and lemon when you had a sore throat. When you didn’t feel good. When you just knew that cold was coming. In college I got real tired of not have lemons around when I got sick. Being sick I didn’t want to make it to the store to get any either. So, I ended up doing this Lemon, Ginger Honey Syrup. It’s almost (is) a lemon preserve that you do in the fridge. It last about 3 months in the fridge. With this I always have some lemons and honey on hand for the days when I’m just under the weather.
Ginger Lemon Honey Syrup is the perfect thing to keep on hand for sore throats, colds, and cold days.
- It is very important that the lemons are unwaxed. Get Lemons that you don’t cringe at the idea of eating the zest. This will all be soaking together so you don’t want anything uneatable on them.
- USE GOOD HONEY! This recipe is mostly honey so you want really good honey.
- The easiest way to peel ginger is with a spoon.
- I 100% just use an old relish jar. You don’t have to go buy a fancy jar or anything if you don’t want to.
Remember to scroll past for a green tea blend that is perfect with this syrup!
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Red Velvet Truffles
- Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate Mix: With a Sugar-Free Option!
- Ginger Lemon Honey Syrup
- Veggie and Rice Casserole
- English Muffins
Lemon Honey Syrup
- Jar with lid (I use old pickle jars)
- 6 Unwaxed Lemons sliced
- 3-4 inches Ginger peeled and sliced
- Layer your Lemons and ginger into your jar, filling with honey every few layers. Insure you are packing the lemons and ginger tightly.
- Continue until the jar is completely filled. Insure that the lemons and ginger are completely submerged in honey.
- Put the lid on the jar and leave it to marinate for 2 weeks.
- When you feel a sore throat, need for a pick me up, etc… You can brew a cup of tea (or preferred beverage) and sweeten with the honey. I also pull a few slices of ginger and lemon for my tea each time I use it as well.
Soothing Green Tea Blend
- 6 Tbsp Gunpowder Green Tea
- 3 Tsp Cardamom Seeds Not the whole pod
- Mix the gunpowder green tea and Cardomom seeds together.
- Store in an air tight container. I use tin tea containers, but mason jars work well too!
- Heat water to 180°F-190°F
- Add 1 Tbsp of blend/ 8oz of water to your infuser, tea bag, cup, tea pot, whatever you are using. Add your water and steep it for 3 minutes.
- Remove the tea/strain the tea leaves out and ENJOY!!